- Pollination – two varieties are best although some are self pollinating.
- Hardiness – zones 3-10 depending on variety
- Yield – 2-15lbs fruit/plant depending upon variety.
- Soil – acid soil with a pH4-5.5, well drained but can tolerate wet feet in winter
- Culture – Blueberries are shallow rooted; ease off on the hoe! A light surface application of organic fertilizer or ammonium sulfate in the spring is beneficial
- Pruning – some required on older branches. Renew to new shoots.
|Fiery fall color|
Bluecrop; light blue berries, very large and flavorful. Upright to 4-6’. Ripens mid July and bears for one month. Red fall color. Zones 4-8.
Photo credit; Life on the Balcony
Where to buy bare root;
- Local nurseries.
- Raintree nursery (nursery in WA + mail order)
So make a list of your favorites, dig out your recipe books and start dreaming of summer cobblers and pies topped with a nice dollop of good vanilla ice cream.